“I am constantly working on finding and developing my expressions, creating my own tunes, opening my ears and finding my own voice. Flamenco is my primary source but we are living in a global world where everything is connected. I want to continue to develop guitar music in the 21st century and share the love for this instrument around the world!” – Afra Rubino
Classic flamenco, Latin American guitar and progressive pieces. All in the repertoire of Andalusia-educated guitarist Afra Rubino. Trained by Spanish masters in her craft she presently operates from her native Gothenburg.
Born in the 80’s to a Swedish father and an Italian mother a hybrid environment was part of everyday life, full of different cultural expressions, different languages and mixture of ideas. No wonder her music is in constant mutation and has so many influences. As her good friend Lars said “it’s not Flamenco… it’s Aframenco!”
Prizes & Scholarships
- 2017 Awarded with the Swedish Performing Rights Society‘s scholarship.
- 2015 Winner of the Guitar People’s Prize, Up & Coming Guitarist Of The Year.
- 2010 Scholarship (second year in a row) for attending the course “Naturaleza y Forma de la Guitarra Flamenca” directed by Maestro Manolo Sanlúcar at the Cordoba International Guitar Festival.
- 2009 Scholarship for attending the course “Naturaleza y Forma de la Guitarra Flamenca” directed by Maestro Manolo Sanlúcar at the Cordoba International Guitar Festival.
- 2008 Scholarship from the AIE (Sociedad de Intérpretes o Ejecutantes) for guitar studies at Fundación Cristinaheeren de Arte Flamenco, Seville.
Formal musical education
- (2013-2015) Musicology studies at the University of Gothenburg
- (2007-2009) Guitar studies at Fundación Cristina Heeren de Arte Flamenco, Seville, Spain – Professors – Eduardo Rebollar, Pedro Sierra, Niño de Pura, Paco Cortés.
- (2005-2007) Classical and flamenco guitar studies at hte Ljunskile Folk High School, Sweden.
- (2001-2004) Musical studies at Hvitfeldtska Gymnasiet (bachelor’s degree)
- (2013-) Free-lance activity. Business: Afra Musik
- (2010-2013) Flamenco guitar teacher at Fundación Cristina Heeren de Arte Flamenco, Seville, Spain.
- (2006-2016) Guitarshop assistant at Gitarren AB, Gothenburg, Sweden – tranee under the supervision of luthier Juan Cornejo.